You decide when, where and how you dictate with a Digital Voice Recorder.
The versatility of the Olympus Digital Voice Recorders means you can capture every moment in high quality.
With its clear and simple operation concept, the DS‑3500 ensures maximum efficiency and productivity. Access to all main commands is cleverly positioned on the unit side to allow intuitive operation via push buttons.
With an external stereo microphone you can create stereo recordings in MP3 or PCM (WAV).
The images in this article may vary for each mobile recorder however the button layout and instructions are very much the same.
Insert the battery
- Lightly press down on the battery cover release button, then open the battery cover.
- Insert the battery, observing orientation.
- Slide the cover back until it clicks into position.
Getting Familiar with the Device
|1 SD card slot||13 OK / MENU button|
|2 Microphone||14 Function (F1,F2,F3) buttons|
|3 NEW button||15 Rewind button|
|4 REC button
||16 Volume - button|
|5 STOP button
|6 PLAY button
||18 Battery cover|
|7 REV button
||19 Battery cover release button|
|8 ERASE button||20 POWER (Power/Hold) switch|
|9 Record indicator light||21 Earphone jack|
|10 Display||22 Microphone jack|
|11 Volume + button||23 USB connector|
|12 Fast Forward||24 Docking station connector|
|1 SD card slot||13 Display
|2 Microphone||14 Volume + button
|3 NEW button||15 Fast Forward button
|4 REC button
||16 PLAY / OK button|
|5 REW button
||17 Smart (F1, F2, F3) buttons
|6 FF button
||18 Rewind button
|7 STOP button
||19 Volume - button
|8 Power / Hold switch
|9 Erase button
||21 Battery cover
|10 Earphone jack
||22 USB connector
|11 Microphone jack
||23 Docking station connector|
|12 Record Indicator
||24 Battery cover release button
How to create a new dictation
- Power on the device.
- If there are any dictations already on the device, press the “NEW” button once the device loads to the main display to create a new dictation.
- Push the “REC” button to begin recording. The LED will illuminate red.
How to pause during a dictation
- Should you need to pause the current dictation, press the “STOP” or "REC" button
- When you are ready to resume the dictation, press the “REC” button.
How to finish a dictation
- Press the “STOP” button. At this point, you can connect the device to the PC and download your dictations. Alternatively you can continue creating more dictations by pressing "NEW".
How to review a dictation
- If you need to review a dictation, for example, if you have been interrupted by the telephone, Press the “STOP” button to stop dictating the current dictation.
- Press and hold down the “REV”/"REW" button to review the dictation.
- Let go of the "REV"/"REW" button to play the file.
How to navigate between dictations
- Press the "Rewind" button twice to go to the previous file or press the "Fast Forward" button twice to go to the next file.
Overwriting part of a dictation
- Press the "Fast Forward" or "Rewind" button to select the dictation you want to edit.
- Press and hold the “REV”/"REW" button until you are at the point in the dictation which you want to overwrite.
- Press the “STOP” button and confirm you are at the correct point in the recording.
- Press the “REC” position to start overwriting the dictation.
- Press the “STOP” position to stop overwriting the dictation.
How to erase files
Please note when a file is erased it can't be restored.
- Press the "Fast Forward" or "Rewind" button to select the file you want to erase.
- Press the “ERASE” button and press “+” to select File Erase. Erase in Folder means all files in the folder will be erased.
- Press “+” to select “Start” and then Press "OK/MENU" button. The display changes to Erase! and erasing will start and then will display Erase Done.
How to insert a recording
- Press the "Fast Forward" or "Rewind" button to select the dictation you want to edit
- Press and hold the "REV"/"REW" button to review the recording
- Let go of the "REV"/"REW" button when you are at the point you want to insert the recording.
- While its playing the file press the "F1" button to insert an additional recording. The display will show Insert Rec?
- Press the "REC" position to start inserting the additional recording. The display will show Insert Rec and the recording time
- Press the "STOP" position to stop inserting the additional recording.
- Then press "F3" to exit insert recording mode
- Press and hold down the "REV"/"REW" button to review the recording
- Release the "REV"/"REW" button when you are at the point to erase
- While its playing press the "ERASE" button. The display will show Erase Start.
- The file will continue playing when you have reached the end point that you want to erase press "ERASE" to confirm.
- If you press the "F1" button, playback will skip back and restart from the partial erase starting point. Playback will continue until the end of the file or until the partial erase ending point is confirmed.
- If you press the "F2" button, playback will skip to the end of the file.
- The erase starting point time and the ending point time will be display will alternate for 8 seconds. To confirm the partial erase Press the "ERASE" button or if you wish to cancel it press "F3".
- If you start the partial erase the display changes to Partial erasing and then change to Partial erase completed.
Send your dictations
Once you have created your recordings you can download your recordings and send them via the following methods. The ODMS software has automated functions which can be configured for a seamless workflow however, Standard is the basic software so it doesn't offer as much automated functions.
- Network Folder share (For ODMS users follow this guide here and for Standard users follow this guide here)
- Email (For ODMS users follow this guide here and for Standard users follow this guide here)
- FTP (For ODMS users follow this guide here)
- Background speech recognition (For ODMS users follow this guide here)
If you are using ODMS and want to know about how to use the Speech Recognition features please take a look at the guide here.
|Wired Dictation Download|
|Professional Audio Recording|
|Set index marks||Up to 32 per file|
|Recording Modes||Dictation / Conference|
|Option items (per Worktype)||10|
|Professional Dictation Features|
|Audio file editing||Insert / Overwrite / Append / Partial Erase|
|Hands-free transcription||Requires CR15 & RS31H/RS28H|
|Hands-free recording||Requires CR15 & RS31H/RS28H|
|Push Button Operation||✔|
|File Operation||Forward/Reverse Skip, Fast forward/rewind, Skip playback|
|Playback speed||Slow (x0.5) / Normal / Fast (x1.5)|
|Folder names changeable||✔|
|Files per Folder||200|
|DSS Pro (DS2)||✔|
|Data Loss Prevention (DLP)||✔|
|PIN Code lock||✔|
|128bit AES Encryption||✔ (DSS Pro)|
|256bit AES Encryption||✔ (DSS Pro)|
|AC adapter||A517 / F-5AC|
|Power Source||LI-42B (Rechargeable Lithium‑Ion battery)|
|Recording Time||≈21 hours|
|USB connection type||Type B (mini USB)|
|USB Classes||USB Audio class / Storage|
|USB Speed||USB 2.0 High Speed|
|External SD-Card slot||Supports 512MB -32GB|
|Microphone Jack||3.5mm, impedance 2 kΩ|
|Earphone jack||3.5mm, impedance 8Ω or more|
|Display Backlit||LED (White)|
|Display Size||34 x 42mm / 2.1''|
|Resolution||176 x 220pixels|
|Display Type||Full colour TFT display|
|Device Customisation Program (DCP)||✔|
|DSS Player for Mac||Version 7 or higher|
|Olympus Dictation Management System Release 6 (ODMS R6)||✔|
|Olympus Dictation Management System Release 7 (ODMS R7)||✔|
|Mac OS X||10.10 - 11.0|
|Windows Server OS||Windows Server 2012 / 2012R2 / 2016 / 2019|
|Windows Client OS||Windows 8 / 8.1 / 10 Home, Pro and Enterprise|
|Remote Desktop Services||(Workgroup only)|
|Temperature||0 ‑ 42°C (operation) / 5 ‑ 35°C (charging)|
|KP21 USB cable||✔|
|CS151 Carrying Case||✔|
|ODMS R6 Dictation Module / DSS Player for Mac license||Included in Premium Edition kits|