Device / User Security
The DS5000iD has incorporated a biometric fingerprint scanner into its design. This enhances the level of security. However, the user still has the option of using a PIN. This document aims to educate and inform the user on how to configure the device security so that the device can be unlocked by using the fingerprint scanner.
Advantages of Using Biometrics
- Provide a convenient and low-cost additional tier of security.
- Eliminate problems caused by lost IDs or forgotten passwords.
- Replace hard-to-remember passwords which may be shared or observed.
- Biometric data is unique to an individual. There is no chance of two users having identical biometrics.
In order to be able to use this feature for the first time, it needs to be enabled. This can be done by going in to the Dictation Module → Device Settings → Security → Ensure that the “Enable Device Lock function” is ticked.
It is also a good idea to change the default PIN from “0000” to something secure. This can be done by clicking “PIN Code change".
You can also limit the amount of times the PIN is entered incorrectly before the device locks out.
How To Enrol your Fingerprint on the DS5000iD:
1. On the DS5000iD, go to the main
menu by pressing the 2. Select Device Menu
3. Select Fingerprint 4. Select Enroll
5. Select an empty data slot and press
the OK/MENU button 6. Scan your finger 3 times
Logging into the Device Using the Fingerprint Scanner:
1. Switch the device On.
2. Scan your fingerprint, when prompted to do so.
3. If the fingerprint is accepted, you will hear a confirmation beep.
Correct Way To Scan
Start with your finger above the scanner and bring it downwards, as shown in the picture.
Keep finger flat against the device Apply moderate pressure Use a steady motion
If you are having trouble unlocking the device using the fingerprint scanner, contact your system administrator and make use of the PIN code feature.